The fall menu for Barkeep (1121 N Walker) is here, and its theme is drawn from The Craft, the 1996 brain-candy delight about teenage witches. Owner-bar genius Julia McLish offered us the recipe, and the photo is from whiskey expert-photographer Kris Kettner. Proportions are in ounces unless otherwise indicated.
- 1.5 Bourbon
- 0.5 Applejack
- 1.0 brown sugar-apple syrup
- 0.5 fresh lemon juice
- 0.25 dropper of Exorcism Bitters
- 1.0 apple cider
- 2 chunks of muddled apple
- Combine liquid ingredients in a tin and shake with ice.
- Strain over rocks and muddled apple, and garnish with an apple slice.
- If you don’t want to make the syrup, Barkeep has suitable substitutes. To make the syrup at home: Combine one cup water, one cup brown sugar, and a quarter cup of apple brandy in a saucepan, and heat slowly, stirring occasionally to combine the ingredients.