Don’t you love it when fashion and function come together in a way that makes you feel a bit more sophisticated, stylish, or edgy, depending on your mood? That’s what outerwear delivers this winter with so many options it’ll be impossible to select just one style. So, don’t.
Coats take on several different looks from sweeping lengths to short and boxy to belted at the waist. Faux fur jackets are already favorites because they complement so many outfits. When a heavy coat isn’t needed, a wooly vest or denim jacket can be layered over a lightweight top or cozy turtleneck.
Any one of those styles will complement what we’ve dubbed urban prairie chic, a cool weather look that often blends relaxed boho with glam and comes together head to toe. It hints at what some might call cowgirl or country girl, but it’s more elevated and interesting. It’s about texture, patterns, and earthy landscape colors. It can be versatile and unexpected by pairing a denim jacket with a sheer black dress and embroidered sandals or a Sherpa lined vest over a print dress. And if there’s not one already in your closet, just say yes to a new fringe jacket that’s certain to be a go-to for years to come.
Bottom line: Whatever your outerwear choice, there’s no sacrificing style for function this winter.
Photography: Shevaun Williams and Associates
Model: Gavyn Redd
Styling: Samia Moses Creative
Hair and makeup: Suzi Thompson
Makeup products: Sooo Lilly Cosmetics
Location: Special thanks to the Prairie House
- San Diego Hat Co. hat, Just Female leather crop pants, and Little Lies top all from rosegold; and necklace from Samia Moses Creative.
- Erin Merryweather earrings from Betsy King Shoes; Jonathan Simkhai tie sweater, Rag & Bone faux fur coat, and Adam Lippes plaid pants all from Gordon Stuart; and Rag & Bone shoes from rosegold.
- Erin Merryweather earrings from Betsy King Shoes; Roper plaid shirt, Double D Ranch fringe jacket, Nocona belt, gloves, and Flying Tomato wide-leg jeans all from Tener’s; and bracelet and ring from Samia Moses Creative.
- Vintage necklace, ring, and silver cuff from Samia Moses Creative; Tallulah feather print dress from rosegold; and Dan Post faux python boots and Cruel Sherpa vest from Tener’s.
- Biltmore Vintage Couture hat from Tener’s; turquoise choker from Samia Moses Creative; RB black dress from rosegold; Levi’s jean jacket from Blue Seven; and Kat Maconie embroidered sandals from Betsy King Shoes.
- Erin Merryweather earrings from Betsy King Shoes; Canvas T-shirt and Wrangler flare jeans from Tener’s; scarf from Samia Moses Creative; and Tart Collections faux fur jacket from rosegold.