Few know the benefits of sauna treatments like Scandinavians, where saunas have been used for more than 2,000 years.
That ancient source of wellness was the impetus for “udander,” a Scandinavian-style spa located in in downtown Oklahoma City and Nichols Hills.
Owners Andrea Ridley, formerly Mason, and Katie Goodrich, developed the concept and opened the first location in 2014.
“We developed the brand of ‘udander’ – meaning exhale in Danish – and opened our first location in downtown in November of 2014,” said Andrea Ridley. “Our concept was to offer a minimalist Scandinavian steam and sauna spa, that provides a relaxation lounge, locker and shower area, and treatment rooms offering waxing, customizable facials and massage services. Fast forward five years later, we now have two locations, with our newest in the Nichols Hills area which opened last December.”
Both Ridley and Goodrich say they have a strong passion for wellness and beauty and their partnership has been made stronger by the professional experience each brings to the business. Goodrich, an Oklahoma native, holds a bachelor’s degree in business and comes to udander with more than 10 years’ management experience in the cosmetic industry. Ridley is a Portland, Oregon, native, who says she loves bringing people together and creates wellness spaces. Ridley brings to udander more than seven years’ experience as an owner of barre3 studios.
Below, Ridley and Goodrich offer a five-step guide to a wellness ritual you can do right from the comfort of your home:
- Prepare yourself a cup of your favorite tea. PS. Make sure you use a cute, instagram-worthy cup!
- Draw an aromatherapy bath for yourself using your favorite salts, herbs or bubbles. (udander has an assortment of handcrafted blends – such as hinoki and lavender that you can purchase from udander for at-home soaks)
- While your bath is prepping, apply your favorite face. (We have a major crush on the Hydrating Floral Mask from Tata Harper – sold at udander)
- Choose a page-turner book or magazine to read while you relax.
- Take time to meditate, pray or be silent for a few moments allowing you to reset.