Make summertime sweet, savory and cool.
In the summer, I always try to think of easy recipes that don’t require much prep time or heat. When it’s 95 degrees outside, who wants to turn on the oven? Also, my three-year-old daughter absolutely loves melons; we always have cut watermelon and cantaloupe in the fridge. I decided to put these ingredients to work.
A salad, for starters: Sweet melons pair deliciously with balsamic vinegar and mozzarella. Toss it all together with your favorite crunchy greens, and opt to top with chilled shrimp or prosciutto. I’m serving this salad alongside a refreshing melon drink, a watermelon-ice fizz. The pink cubes are both cheery and versatile. Mix it up and make it your own — and cheers to a cool summer.
Ingredients for melon fruit salad:
- Mixed greens
- Cubed cantaloupe, watermelon and honeydew melon
- Mozzarella pearls
- Balsamic vinegar and olive oil
- Optional proteins: sliced prosciutto or chilled shrimp
Ingredients for watermelon-ice fizz:
- Frozen watermelon pieces (cubed or ball-shaped)
- Sparkling water
- Mint leaves
- A splash of lime juice
- Optional alcohol: splash of rum or fruity hard seltzer, or swap the sparkling water with Prosecco