Top 10 Holiday Activities to Enjoy in OKC
The Joys of the Season
As the holidays are here, Oklahoma City offers an abundance of festive activities to make the most out of the happiest time of the year. For a chance to get the whole family involved in some jolly good fun before Saint Nick arrives, check out our 10 favorite spots of the season in the heart of Oklahoma!
- If you’re in the mood to impress your friends with your skating skills, visit the Devon Ice Rink, a part of the Myriad Botanical Gardens seasonal plaza. This winter, the ice skating rink celebrates its 10th anniversary, hosting public skating along with the chance to book a private party. Through Jan. 30, the Devon Rink is open 7 days a week, so lace up your skates and get moving!
- Bummed about the lack of snow in OKC this year? Head over to the Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark to experience a thrilling snow tube adventure. See if you can face the manmade icy tundras in the Dodgers stadium—the public is welcome to get tickets to this attraction on weekends, and reserve private sessions during the week.
- The Myriad Botanical Gardens always flourishes with greenery, but this season, it’s adorned with Christmas lights and holiday decor. For a chance to immerse yourself in the mixture of botanical festivities, check out the workshop classes offered, such as the Evergreen Wreath Workshops, Gingerbread House Workshop, Santa at the Gardens, and more. Want to keep the kiddos engaged? The Children’s Garden is transformed into a Winter Wonderland, so let them run around and enjoy the playground.
- If you’re in the mood for a tasty and unique treat, visit Katiebug’s Winter Wonderland for homemade marshmallows of all flavors and famous hot chocolate. This sweet spot will have you feeling as if you’re right at the North Pole. With cookie decorating kits, Christmas trees, and plenty of places for photo ops, you won’t want to go home.
- The Downtown Light Displays in OKC are not to be missed, with local businesses and restaurants covered from top to bottom in the brightest of colored lights. Head down Automobile Alley to see a rainbow of Christmas light installations, with giant ornaments placed along the sidewalks. The public is welcome to visit this area and take pictures of the vast assortment of lights to bask in the holiday spirit.
- For a holiday celebration on the water without having to leave town, hop on board the Bricktown Water Taxis as a part of the Art Afloat OKC Showboat Tours. With performances perfect for the winter season and caroling along the canal, the whole family is encouraged to enjoy the shows.
- All aboard! The Oklahoma Railway Museum offers its Polar Express Train Ride for a whirlwind experience. With music from the film’s soundtrack along with cookies delivered by dancing chefs, you’ll feel as if you stepped directly into the movie screen. Kids will have the opportunity to meet with Santa, and the book The Polar Express will be read by the characters.
- To add a little excitement to the season, visit Frontier City Theme Park for a seasonal special: Witness Christmas lights around rollercoasters, holiday shows, DIY crafts, and more. Santa will be making multiple appearances throughout the park, so keep an eye out for Old Saint Nick. Fire pits will also be provided, but still layer up to prepare for unpredictable weather.
- For a musical light show, visit the Downs Family Christmas at 2900 72nd Ave SE. Over 18 miles of lights and installments are available for the whole family to enjoy; set your radios to the channel provided to watch as the music syncs up with the lights. Bring a canned good or donation to benefit the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma.
- OKC’s largest family-friendly New Year’s Eve celebration will kick off 2022 with live music, mural art competitions, food trucks, and a children’s area with art projects and immersive activities. Watch the Opening Night ball rise and enjoy local food and beverages while surrounded by a festive community.